Do you have a demo that needs to be updated?
If you can identify with any or all of the following 10 symptoms, your outdated demo is way passed its expiration date!
Check in here to see if your commercial demo is aging!
Last week I had the great pleasure of reviewing Julie Williams’ “How To Make Money in Voice-Overs Even if you aren’t in N.Y. or L.A.” and was inspired to write an article and revisit the topic of how voice over demos “age” over time.
To take a different slant on it, this time we’re going to look at this concept from the ever-popular Top Ten list, so buckle up 😉
10 Signs Your Demo May Be Outdated
10. You needed to get your demo transferred from tape to CD
9. Mentions of cars, sporting events, and movie releases predate your child’s birth (or the family pet)
8. The music on the demo makes you want to breakout into the Macarena or wear “Hammer Pants”
7. Peers and friends in the VO community start dropping hints
6. It’s your very first demo and you’ve been in the biz for a few years
5. Companies or stations you included on the demo have since gone out of business
4. Dates and times “date” your demo
3. The material doesn’t reflect the kind of voice overs you are doing now
2. You feel like you need to apologize when sending your demo out to people
1. You don’t recognize the voice on your own demo