DreamWorks Animation released the much anticipated 3D animated adventure comedy “The Croods” to critical acclaim. The film, written and directed by Kirk DeMicco and Chris Sanders, and produced by Kristine Belson and Jane Hartwell, had its premiere at the 63rd Berlin International Film Festival on February 15, 2013, and was released in the United States on March 22, 2013.
Earning more than $585 million on a $135 million budget, The Croods proved to be a box office success creating a new franchise for the studio. A movie sequel and TV series are already underway to follow the film. Emma Stone, Nicolas Cage and Ryan Reynolds are confirmed to reprise their roles in the films upcoming movie sequel.
The film is set in the fictional prehistoric era known as The Croodaceous. After their cave is destroyed the family is forced to set out on a journey of a lifetime, traveling across spectacular landscapes, encountering fantastical creatures, and meeting a prehistoric genius who has revolutionary new inventions, like fire, changing their lives forever. They soon discover they have exactly what it takes to survive – each other.
The voice-over cast stars:
- Nicolas Cage as Grug Crood, overprotective patriarch of the Croods family
- Catherine Keener as Ugga Crood, wife of Grug, mother of Sandy and Thunk, daughter of Gran Crood
- Randy Thom as Sandy Crood, Grug and Ugga’s ferocious baby daughter
- Clark Duke as Thunk Crood, clumsy 9-year-old middle child with a big heart
- Emma Stone as Eep Crood, eldest daughter and rebellious teenage cavegirl
- Cloris Leachman as Gran Grood, old and ferocious mother-in-law to Grug
- Ryan Reynolds as Guy, what this caveboy lacks in strength, he makes up for in intellect
- Chris Sanders as Belt, Guy’s pet sloth
The Croods: Prehistoric Party! Video game was released on March 19, 2013. Developed by Torus Games and published by D3 Publisher, it is available on Wii U, Wii, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DS systems. Players can take The Croods family members on adventures through 30 party-style mini-games. Published by Rovio, the creator of Angry Birds, a mobile game titled “The Croods” is also available for the iOS and Android platforms.