Despicable Me 2 landed just behind Iron Man 3 as the second highest-grossing film of 2013, and the highest-grossing animated film of 2013, earning $364,239,000 in North America and $542,000,000 in other countries, for a worldwide total of $906,239,000 making it the most profitable film in the 100 year history of Universal Studios.
The film catches up with Gru, the former supervillain, as he is adjusting to family life and trying to make an honest living in the jam business. When a secret laboratory near the Arctic Circle is stolen “The Anti-Villain League” (AVL) recruits Gru for his insider’s perspective. Gru reluctantly agrees to help AVL agent, Lucy Wilde, and they conclude that the perpetrator must be presumed dead supervillain, El Macho. Overprotective of his children and blinded by his attraction to Lucy, Gru nearly gets on the wrong track as his minions are quietly kidnapped.
The film sees Steve Carell, Russell Brand, and Miranda Cosgrove reprise their roles. Kristen Wiig, who played Miss Hattie in the first film, voices agent Lucy Wilde. Ken Jeong, who played the Talk Show Host, voices Floyd Eagle-san. Joining the cast for Despicable Me 2 is Benjamin Bratt as Eduardo “El Macho” (Al Pacino was originally cast in the role, but left the film due to creative differences) and Steve Coogan who plays the head of the Anti-Villain League, Silas Ramsbottom. Pierre Coffin plays Kevin the Minion, Bob the Minion, Stuart the Minion, Additional Minions, and Evil Minions. Coffin indicated in an interview that he lent his voice to 899 Minions for the production.
The voice over cast includes
- Steve Carell as Felonious Gru, former villain turned father.
- Kristen Wiig as Lucy Wilde, an Anti-Villain League agent and Gru’s love interest.
- Benjamin Bratt as Eduardo Perez/El Macho, the owner of Salsa & Salsa, a Mexican restaurant in the Paradise Mall. Side note, Al Pacino was originally cast in the role, but left the film due to creative differences.
- Miranda Cosgrove as Margo, the oldest of Gru’s three girls.
- Elsie Fisher as Agnes, the youngest child of the three girls.
- Dana Gaier as Edith, the middle of the three girl.
- Russell Brand as Dr. Nefario, Gru’s elderly, hearing impaired gadget man.
- Ken Jeong as Floyd Eagle-san, an owner of a wig store.
- Steve Coogan as Silas Ramsbottom, the head of the Anti-Villain League.
- Moisés Arias as Antonio Perez, Margo’s love interest and Eduardo’s son.
- Nasim Pedrad as Jillian, Gru’s irritating matchmaking neighbor.
- Kristen Schaal as Shannon, Jillian’s superficial friend.
- Pierre Coffin as numerous Minions
- Chris Renaud as Additional Minions, Evil Minions, and Italian waiter
- Vanessa Bayer as Flight Attendant
A spin-off film is set to be released on December 19, 2014 and will feature the Minions before they met Gru.