Black Lab Five
Since re-opening in Oct 2014, the Bohm has been a primary economic driver for downtown Albion, a presenter of artistic excellence and an historic community treasure. The Bohm’s success has created a sense of place, and serves as an anchor which has helped attract a $9 million Marriott Courtyard hotel, and pending future developments such as a local brew pub. It has impacted the community’s positive perception of the downtown as a whole and local businesses and restaurants have seen a 20-30% increase in business on weekends. The Bohm received state-wide recognition by receiving the 2015 Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation. Building on our growth and success, we seek to expand our operations by adding an intimate 41-seat screening room next door.
Repeating Our Success
Seeing the success and growth of the Bohm restoration and its impact on the community, it soon became apparent that a single screen facility would not accommodate the programming needs of the community and still be able to offer first run new release films. The expansion will allow us to
1) increase the number of film and alternative educational programming,
2) provide intimate film discussion series with smaller groups and
3) create a space for multi-media digital production and collaboration with the community.
Single screen movie theaters struggle to make ends meet, but by ensuring our ability to provide a combination of film and arts programming we have developed a sustainable business model to move the Bohm Theatre forward. Our gross revenues will increase by as much as 50% because we will be able to offer more programming. An increase in revenues while maintaining our current level of admin expense will reduce our need for contributed income and create long-term sustainability.
The Bohm II will include:
• Intimate 41-seat screening room
• State of the art projection system by American Cinema
• Reclining first row seats
• Same plush rocker seats as the historic Bohm
• Complete concession area with another great popcorn popper
• Additional room on the 2nd Floor for multi-media production