Which Actors Provide the Voices in Horton Hears a Who?
The movie Horton Hears a Who is an adaptation of the Dr. Seuss classic from 1970.
Welcome to Whoville
Horton, played by Jim Carrey, is an elephant who hears a voice crying for help coming from a speck of dust. Even though Horton can’t see who the voices belong to, he talks to them. Turns out the voices are the Who, inhabitants of a microscopic city called Whoville. Horton’s neighbors think he is crazy and torment him for believing in the Who. Horton stands steadfastly by the motto, “A person is a person, no matter how small.” The evil Kangaroo, who’s voice is provided by Carol Burnett, tries to get rid of the speck of dust, thinking Horton’s beliefs are dangerous to the children of their jungle, Nool.
Full Cast of Celebrities in Horton Hears a Who
In addition to Jim Carrey and Carol Burnett, the movie character’s voices are provided by famous celebrities such as: Steve Carrell, Seth Rogen, Will Arnett and Jesse McCartney. The voice actors make the movie and bring a unique personality to each character, without them the movie’s characters wouldn't delight the audience and transport them into Horton’s world.
Jim Carrey, comedian extraordinaire, plays Horton, the movies main character. Carrey is no stranger to voice over work; he has also provided voice talent for the animated films How the Grinch Stole Christmas and A Christmas Carol.
Steve Carrell, famous actor and comedian, in Horton provides the voice for Mayor Augustus Maywho, The Mayor of Whoville, who tries to convince the Whoville society that Horton really exists. He also used his voice alongside Carrey, to give personality to 8-year-old Augustus Maywho in How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
Carol Burnett, award-winning actress and voice talent, gives life to the evil Kangaroo, who torments Horton endlessly throughout the movie. Burnett also offered her voice for Aunt Sally in the new movie Rapunzel and as Mrs. Hammerbotham in The Trumpet of the Swan.
Will Arnett, Primetime Emmy winner, plays Vlad Vladikoff, a nefarious buzzard who Kangaroo enlists to get rid of the speck Horton holds so dearly. Arnett is no stranger to voice over work himself; he has lent his talents to many video games including to Call of Duty: Modern Warefare 2 and Monsters vs. Aliens.
Seth Rogen, Canadian actor and writer, gave voice to Morton, Horton’s friend and comrade in the fight against Kangaroo and her no-good allies. Rogan also voiced Hogsquel in The Spiderwick Chronicles and Mantis in Kung Fu Panda.
Jesse McCartney, winner of a Teen Choice Award and Young Artist Award, adds his voice talent to Horton as the character JoJo, Mayor Maywho’s first born and only son out of 97 children. Jojo is next in line to be the Mayor of Whoville, but doesn't want to be and is depressed and saddened by this and the fact that he is the smallest Who in Whoville. McCartney offered his voice for Theodore in Alvin and the Chipmunks and has given voice to many other characters in animations and video games.
Other voice talents in Horton Hears a Who:
- Amy Poehler – Sally O’Malley
- Bill Farmer – Willie Bear
- Caitlin Rose Anderson – Helen
- Charles Osgood – Narrator
- Christina Martino – Heidi/Haley
- Colleen O’Shaughnessey – Angela / Additional Voices
- Dan Fogler – Councilman/ Yummo Wickersham
- Debi Derryberry – Who Mom / Additional Voices
- Ellie Martino – Hanna / Additional Voices
- Emily Anderson – Heather
- Heather Goldenhersh – Who Girl / Additional Voices
- Isla Fisher – Dr. Mary Lou Larue
- Jack Angel – Old Time Who/ Additional Voices
- Jaime Pressly – Mrs. Quilligan
- Jan Rabson – Town Cryer / Additional Voices
- Jason Fricchione – Joe
- Jess Harnell – Another Who / Additional Voices
- Jimmy Hayward – Obnoxious Who
- Joe Pasquale – The Dentist
- Joey King – Katie
- John Cygan – Who / Additional Voices
- Jonah Hill – Tommy
- Josh Flitter – Rudy
- Karen Disher – Who Kid
- Laraine Newman – Glummox Mom
- Laura Ortiz – Jessica
- Marshall Efron – Wickersham Guard #1
- Niecy Nash – Miss Yelp
- Samantha Droke – Hildy/ Holly
- Selena Gomez – Helga
- Shelby Adamowsky – Hedy/Hooly
- Tim Nordquist – Wickersham Guard #2
Related Articles on Horton Hears a Who