Terms of Service
Please read all the terms and conditions of this Agreement carefully. By creating an account, clicking “I agree”, signing a copy of this Agreement, signing a Services Agreement that refers to this Agreement, or otherwise entering into a business relationship with Voices.com, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement. It is important to read this entire Agreement. IN PARTICULAR, IT CONTAINS PROVISIONS THAT MAY LIMIT YOUR RIGHTS, SUCH AS SECTION 13 LIMITED WARRANTY AND SECTION 14 LIMITATIONS. This Agreement applies to all current and future arrangements between you and Voices.com.
This Agreement governs the relationship between Voices.com and the user which may be either a talent agency or individual voice talent selling their services (each a “Talent”), or a purchaser of voice talent services (“Client(s)” and, together with the Talent, a “User”). If the User does not agree to any of the terms of this Agreement, the User must discontinue his, her or its use of the Services provided by Voices.com (as such term is defined below).
1. Services: The User will have access to the various services made available to users as part of the Voices.com online services (the “Services”) from time to time, consistent with the level of service purchased by the User. Clients may choose to obtain custom Services from Voices.com by entering into a Services Agreement that will incorporate these Terms of Service by reference.
2. Fees: User will pay Voices.com its standard fees set out on the Voices.com web site (www.voices.com) from time to time for the level of service selected by the Client or the level of membership selected by the Talent, or if applicable as set out in a Services Agreement. Voices.com may change its standard fees or levels of service at any time, provided that such changes will not commence earlier than the end of the User’s then current Term. Each Client will be responsible for the payment of all fees Client has agreed to pay Talent for each job. The Client will pay to Voices.com: (a) a posting fee for each union voice talent job posted, and (b) a transaction fee for each non-union or freelance voice talent job posted, as such fee is quoted through Voices.com from time to time. For clarity, a union voice talent job will include, without limitation, voice talent work to be completed by a Talent who is a member of a performing arts union, including without limitation, the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) and American Federation Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA), collectively known as their merged entity SAG-AFTRA, the Canadian union, the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists (ACTRA), as well as other prominent performing unions around the globe.
All fees shall be payable in advance unless otherwise agreed upon in writing. Unless otherwise instructed by the User, periodic Services will be automatically renewed for a Term equivalent to the prior Term with payment being billed to the User by Voices.com by the same payment method as before.
Any payment not made when due will be subject to interest of two percent (2%) per month compounded monthly (equivalent to a yearly interest rate of 26.86%).
Payments are not refundable.
3. Payment Service: All payments to Talent by a Client for non-union voice talent work must be made through Voices.com. All payments to Talent by a Client for union voice talent work must be made through such talent agency. Payments for the purchase of non-union Talent are held by Voices.com until the Talent delivers the product to the Client, and the Client confirms the work is complete. Upon receipt of such confirmation, Voices.com will pay the Talent on its next scheduled payout date.
Each User hereby agrees that he, she or it will not circumvent the Voices.com payment procedures or engage in any Prohibited Acts. For the purposes of this section of this Agreement, “Prohibited Acts” include (but are not limited to) the followin::
- Submitting proposals to or soliciting Clients identified on Voices.com to contact, hire, manage or pay such User directly and not through the Voices.com Services.
- Accepting proposals from or soliciting voice talent identified on Voices.com to contact, deliver voice talent work, invoice, or receive payment by another User directly and not through the Voices.com Services.
- Invoicing or reporting on Voices.com an invoice or payment amount different than that agreed between Client and Talent.
4. Term: This Agreement will commence when the User registers on Voices.com, or executes a Services Agreement. If the User has already registered, this Agreement will come into effect and replace any previously existing Terms of Service when this Agreement is posted on Voices.com. The Term will continue for the term specified at the time of registration, unless renewed by the User or unless terminated by either party as permitted by this Agreement. If this Agreement or the Services are terminated, Voices.com will provide the User with 30 days to retrieve any material it has placed on the Voices.com website.
5. Ownership: The contents of the Voices.com website are owned by and copyrighted by Voices.com or other parties posting material and contains trade-marks of Voices.com and others. Material on the Voices.com website may only be copied or reproduced to the extent explicitly permitted. Voices.com has no ownership interest in any User data, trade-marks or other content the User places on the Voices.com website. The User hereby licenses same to Voices.com only to the extent required to provide the Services.
6. Assignment of Non-Union Work Product: With respect to non-union voice talent work, upon the earlier of the transfer of the completed voice talent work as an audio file (the “Non-Union Work Product”) to Voices.com or the Client, the Talent assigns to Voices.com all right, title and interest, absolutely, to the copyright and other intellectual property in or relating to the Talent’s Non-Union Work Product throughout the world, free of all licenses, mortgages, charges or other encumbrances, unless agreed otherwise by the parties in writing. The Talent hereby waives their moral rights in the Non-Union Work Product. Voices.com and its Client, assignees or licensees may use the Talent’s work without restriction from the Talent and without any rights of approval by the Talent. Upon payment by the Client, Voices.com assigns the Non-Union Work Product purchased by the Client to the Client. If the Client’s rights to use the Non-Union Work Product are limited, the limitations will be specified in writing.
7. Assignment of Union Work Product: With respect to union voice talent work, as between Voices.com and the Talent, the Talent will retain copyright and other intellectual property rights with respect to any completed union voice talent work (the “Union Work Product”) that it submits or transmits to or displays on or through the Voices.com website or any other Service, to the extent that the Talent has such rights under applicable law. [The Talent may request the deletion of the Union Work Product at any time by using the tools on the Voices.com website to do so; however, if it has shared Union Work Product with Clients through the Voices.com website, the Talent acknowledges that Voices.com has no control over any third party’s use of that Union Work Product. Further, Talent acknowledges that removed Union Work Product may persist in backup copies for Voices.com’s recordkeeping and internal purposes, including enforcing the terms of this Agreement.] By providing Union Work Product to Voices.com, the Talent represents and warrants that it:
(a) owns such Union Work Product or otherwise has the right to grant Voices.com a worldwide, sublicenseable, assignable, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, unlimited right and license to copy, make derivative works of, use, reproduce, publish, distribute, publicly display and perform, reformat, modify and delete the Union Work Product solely in connection with the Voices.com website and Services (the “License”). This License will enable each User of the Voices.com website to access the Union Work Product as permitted through the functionality of the Voices.com website and under the terms of this Agreement. This License includes the right to modify or adapt the Union Work Product in order to transmit, display or distribute it over computer networks, in various media and to devices, but does not give Voices.com the right to use the Union Work Product outside of the Voices.com website, unless contemplated by the functionality of the Voices.com website, and the Talent retains the copyright to the Union Work Product [and subject to the terms above, the right to delete it from the Voices.com website at any time];
(b) that the Union Work Product is accurate and not confidential and the submission, transmission, posting and use of the Union Work Product on the Voices.com website is not in violation of any applicable laws or contractual restrictions or other third party rights (including, without limitation, privacy, publicity, and intellectual property rights); and
(c) the Talent is solely responsible for, and Voices.com will have no liability in connection with, the Talent’s Union Work Product or any other Union Work Product the Talent accesses through the Voices.com website.
The Talent’s ownership in the Union Work Product does not confer any rights of access to the Voices.com website or the Services nor any rights to Union Work Product stored by or on behalf of Voices.com[, other than the right to delete the Union Work Product from the Voices.com website as noted in subsection 7(a) above].
8. Support: Voices.com will provide support to the User for its use of the Services as reasonably required. Support will be primarily through the use of web based tools. Support does not include any changes or customizations.
9. Default: Voices.com may immediately terminate this Agreement or suspend the User’s access to the Services without notice upon the occurrence of any of the following events: (a) User fails to make any payments when due; (b) User fails to comply with any provision of this Agreement; (c) User attempts to assign, sub-license, or otherwise transfer any of its rights under this Agreement without the consent of Voices.com; or (d) User files an assignment in bankruptcy or is or becomes bankrupt and/or insolvent, upon the appointment of a receiver for all or substantially all of the property or assets of the User, upon the making of any assignment or attempted assignment for the benefit of creditors or on the institution by User of any act or proceeding for the winding up of its business. [In the event that Voices.com terminates or suspends the User’s access to the Services or this Agreement under this Section 9, the User understands and agrees that he, she or it will not receive a refund or exchange for any unused time on a current Term, any license or fees, any content or data associated with the User’s Services or account or otherwise.]
10. User Responsibilities: The User is responsible for all activity it conducts using the Services. The User will abide by all applicable laws relating to its use of the Services. The User will not use the Services for purposes prohibited by Voices.com from time to time, including without limitation illegal or inappropriate purposes; sending spam; perpetration of security breaches; hacking; privacy breaches; fraudulent activity; distribution of viruses or other harmful code; transmission, distribution or storage of any material protected by copyright, trade-mark, trade secret or other intellectual property right without proper authorization, or material that is obscene, defamatory, fraudulent, infringing or abusive; any unauthorized access, alteration, theft, corruption or destruction of files, data, transmission facilities or equipment; or to interfere with any other person’s use and enjoyment of the Voices.com website. The User will abide by any policies adopted by Voices.com from time to time regarding the Services, including without limitation the Community Guidelines.
Voices.com does not routinely monitor all material placed on the Services, but may in its discretion delete or modify any material offending the above that comes to its attention.
Voices.com may limit the amount of storage space used by individual Users for audio files if in its discretion the amount used is excessive.
The User will provide Voices.com with compete and accurate contact and billing information and update such information as it changes. The User’s access to the Services requires logon ID’s and passwords. It is the User’s responsibility to protect that information, including without limitation, to use effective passwords that are not easily guessed or discoverable, and keep user names and passwords confidential. The User will report to Voices.com immediately after its discovery of any compromise of its passwords or suspected unauthorized use of the portion of the Services under its control. [Voices.com will not be liable for any losses incurred by the User caused by any unauthorized use of the User’s access to the Services, and the User hereby agrees it may be liable for losses incurred by Voices.com or the losses incurred by others as a result of such unauthorized use.]
11. Representation: In the event the User is a talent agency providing registration information on behalf of individual voice talent (that is, any actor or other artist such User represents or on whose behalf such User works for), the User warrants and represents that it has full authority to represent such individual voice talent and provide Voices.com with the registration information and any other personally identifying information of such individual voice talent, including a valid parent/guardian authorization where required by law.
[In the event that an individual voice talent of the age of majority advises Voices.com that he or she is no longer represented by the talent agency which was a User and who established or maintained an account or Services on the individual voice talent’s behalf, Voices.com will either turn control of the account over to the individual voice talent (subject to the individual voice talent’s direct acceptance of this Agreement, as applicable) or to another talent agency which has an account and/or has access to the Services, as directed by the individual voice talent. If the individual voice talent is not of the age of majority, under these circumstances the account may be transferred to the individual voice talent’s parent or legal guardian, or terminated in Voices.com’s sole discretion.]
12. Service Levels: Voices.com will use commercially reasonable efforts to provide its Services on a continuous basis, subject to reasonable maintenance requirements and matters beyond Voices.com’s reasonable control. Voices.com may make changes to its website and/or its Services at any time in its sole discretion without notice.
13. Limited Warranty: The Services are provided “as is”, “with all faults”, “as available” and at the User’s sole risk. Voices.com does not warrant that its website or Services are accurate or error free, that it will operate without problems or without interruption, or that it will satisfy the User’s expectations. Voices.com has no responsibility for any issues that arise between a talent agency and individual voice talent, any two or more Talent, or between any Talent and Client. All such activity, and any enforcement, breach, terms, conditions, warranties and representations associated with such activity is solely between those two parties, without any liability or obligation of any kind whatsoever by Voices.com.
Voices.com may provide portions of its Services using services and software provided by third parties. Notwithstanding anything else contained in this Agreement, Voices.com’s, and such third parties’, warranties and liabilities for any matters arising from such services and software shall not exceed those provided to Voices.com from such third parties.
Voices.com provides and facilitates the Voices.com website, but is not responsible for anything placed on the website by Users or a third party.
Voices.com does not guarantee the accuracy of any information submitted by any User to the Voices.com website, including any identifying information about any User.
Any third party sites that are linked to the Voices.com website are not under Voices.com’s control. Voices.com is not responsible for anything on the linked sites, including without limitation, any content, links to other sites, any changes to those sites, or any policies those sites may have. Voices.com has no responsibility for any issues that arise between a User and such third party. Voices.com provides links as a convenience only and such links do not imply any endorsement by Voices.com of those sites or their owners. Voices.com has the right to remove such links at its sole discretion.
14. Limitations: All promises made by Voices.com are contained in this Agreement. No promises implied by law (whether described as warranties, conditions, representations, or otherwise, and whether relating to merchantability, fitness, non-infringement, or otherwise) apply.
Users cannot collect any damages from Voices.com for any reason (whether under legal theories of contract, tort, negligence, strict liability, operation of law or otherwise) that are not direct damages or exceed the fees paid to Voices.com by the User for the 6 month period immediately prior to the event giving rise to the claim for the Services that the claim arises from.
Voices.com relies on these limitations when entering this Agreement and setting its fees. They are a fundamental and essential part of our arrangement, and apply even if this agreement has failed in its fundamental or essential purpose or been fundamentally breached.
15. Indemnity: The User will indemnify Voices.com for any expenses Voices.com may incur resulting from the User’s violation of this Agreement, including, without limitation, any fines, fees, legal expenses, and labour for investigation and resolution.
16. Amendments to Agreement: Voices.com may amend this Agreement from time to time, such changes being effective after Voices.com posts the revised version to its website. The User’s continued use of the Services and the Voices.com website after Voices.com posts any changes to this Agreement is the User’s consent to any such changes. If the User does not agree to any and all of the terms of this Agreement, he, she or it must discontinue using the Services and/or Voices.com website immediately. This Agreement cannot otherwise be amended or modified, other than by a change made in writing, dated and executed by the parties. If there is both an executed and a click-wrap version of this Agreement, the executed version shall govern if the terms differ.
17. Governing Law: This Agreement shall be interpreted in accordance with and governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario, Canada, excluding conflicts of laws provisions and excluding the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods. The parties hereby submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Ontario, and the Federal Court of Canada. Any actions against Voices.com must be commenced in the courts of Ontario or the Federal Court of Canada.
18. Dispute Resolution: To resolve disputes which may arise between a User and Voices.com, any party will notify the other in writing of the details of the dispute.
If the issue is not resolved within ten (10) days, then the resolution of the dispute shall be referred to a mediator chosen by the parties.
If the parties are unable to resolve the dispute with the assistance of the mediator within fifteen (15) days of the appointment thereof, the dispute shall be settled by arbitration in accordance with the Arbitrations Act (Ontario). The award of the arbitration shall be final and binding upon the parties, and enforceable in any court of competent jurisdiction. The venue for any arbitration hereunder shall be London, Ontario.
Nothing in this section shall defer or interfere with the entitlement of either party to obtain injunctive relief.
19. Confidential Information: Confidential Information is all information of either party that is not generally known to the public, whether of a technical, business or other nature (including, without limitation, trade secrets, know-how and information relating to technology, business plans, assets, liabilities, prospects, finances, product capabilities or lack thereof), that is disclosed by a party to the other or that is otherwise learned by the other in the course of its business dealings with the other, and that has been identified as being proprietary and/or confidential or that by the nature of the circumstances surrounding the disclosure or receipt ought reasonably to be treated as proprietary and/or confidential.
Confidential Information shall not include (except for any personally identifiable information about an individual that relevant privacy legislation or policies do not allow to be disclosed): (a) any Confidential Information that is in the public domain at the time of its disclosure or which thereafter enters the public domain through no action of the receiving party, direct or indirect, intentional or unintentional; (b) any Confidential Information which the receiving party can demonstrate was in its possession or known to it prior to its receipt, directly or indirectly, from the other party; (c) any Confidential Information that is disclosed to the receiving party by another party not in violation of the rights of the other party or any other person or entity; and (d) any Confidential Information which is either compelled by law or by the order of a court of competent jurisdiction to be disclosed.
The parties will (a) not use Confidential Information for any purpose other than that contemplated by this Agreement; (b) not disclose Confidential Information to anyone without the prior written authorization of the disclosing party, during the term of this Agreement or at any time thereafter; (c) handle, preserve and protect Confidential Information with at least the same degree of care that it affords or would afford to its own Confidential Information, including taking all reasonable efforts to avoid disclosure of such Confidential Information to any third party, at any time; (d) disclose Confidential Information only to its employees or subcontractors who require such information in order to perform the party’s obligations to the other, and are under similar confidentiality obligations.
The identity of Clients is typically not Confidential Information. If Clients desire their identity to be treated as Confidential Information, they must advise Voices.com in writing. Each Talent hereby agrees he, she or it will treat a Client’s identity as Confidential Information when advised in writing by Voices.com.
Client scripts and the Talent’s work are Confidential Information unless the Client explicitly states otherwise in writing.
21. Prior Agreement: This Agreement (and any Services Agreement if applicable) contains the complete and exclusive statement of the agreement between the parties and supersedes all prior and contemporaneous agreements, purchase orders, understandings, proposals, negotiations, representations or warranties of any kind whether written or oral. No oral or written representation that is not expressly contained in this Agreement (and any Services Agreement if applicable) is binding on either party.
22. Survival: The provisions of this Agreement pertaining to Confidential Information, assignment, limitations, privacy, and use restrictions shall survive the termination of this Agreement. Other sections pertaining to rights and obligations which by their nature should survive termination are hereby confirmed to so survive.
23. Force Majeure: Neither party is liable for an omission or delay in the execution of its obligations hereunder caused by an event beyond its reasonable control. The time for the performance of the obligation that is so delayed shall be extended by a reasonable time, provided that payments shall not be delayed.
24. Notice: All required notices, or notices which may be provided in accordance with this Agreement, shall be in writing and shall be duly provided for if the notice is remitted to its addressee by prepaid courier, registered or certified mail, or e-mail, if to Voices.com to the address listed on the contact portion of Voices.com website, and if to the User to the address set out on its profile. Every notice delivered in the manner provided for herein shall be deemed to have been received: when delivered or if by e-mail the first business day after the date received.