People put their hands into the centre of a table. They are holding onto puzzle pieces. One is light blue, one is dark blue.

Voice Over Coaching Basics – Selecting a Voice Over Coach

When it comes to voice over coaching, there’s a lot to consider – and a few myths to bust.

For one, voice over coaches aren’t just for beginners. Even voice actors who have been behind the microphone for years can benefit from the guidance and feedback of an expert coach.

At Voices.com, we believe that coaching is so critical to a voice actor’s success, that we developed a voice coach directory that provides access to coaches who are able to help voice actors in any stage of their career. It’s updated regularly and contains voice over coaches who are based in the USA. On average, voice actors on Voices.com who have received training book 21% more jobs

How Voice Over Coaching Can Benefit All Levels of Voice Actors

Voice acting is a profession that requires its own approach, and a coach can be instrumental in helping emerging voice actors find their unique take and style. If you’re considering getting into voice over, coaching should be one of the first steps you take to make sure that voice acting will be a good fit for you.

For more advanced professionals, coaches are often a helpful resource for voice actors who have reached a roadblock in their career – whether that means that they’re having a hard time breaking into a new facet of the industry (e.g. audiobooks versus radio work), or simply having a hard time growing their business altogether. So, if you haven’t had the success you’re looking for, a voice over coach can support you through your journey to step up your game.

Coaches also assist with a voice actor’s longevity. Whether it be in terms of their business, or in terms of vocal care, longevity is a coaching specialty in and of itself!

In general, successful voice actors can employ voice over coaches to ensure they stay on the trajectory of continued success by expanding and fine tuning their existing skillset.

Voice Over Coaching Comes in Many Different Formats

The formats for coaching can be varied. For instance, there are individual sessions, workshops, virtual schools, or group audition workout sessions, to name a few.

When considering all of the options, voice actors need to select what makes the most sense for them based on their comfort level, finances, and educational goals.

One ‘plus’ of living in the modern age, is that digital coaching through an online platform is now an effective option, especially for those who are located far from their voice over coach of choice.

In contrast, workshops offer a vastly different setup, and offer their own benefits. Specifically, the group environment allows individuals to receive feedback on their own career, while also receiving the benefit of learning from others, as well as networking. (Networking has been reported as another highly important aspect to building up a voice over career.)

When workshops integrate group auditions, the learnings gleaned from listening in on others’ interpretations of the reads can be instrumental in a professional’s development.

The ‘Right Voice Over Coach’ is the One that Feels Right for You

Because coaching is an investment in both time and finances, voice actors can feel a lot of pressure to find ‘the right’ coach.

Similar to making any other investment, voice actors often take to reading reviews online and vetting a coach’s experience and claims against what seems reasonable.

On this front, there are a lot of highly-accomplished coaches who are taking on students, at various price points and in many different formats. Whenever possible, take advantage of free introductory phone calls or opportunities to get to know the voice over coach and ask them questions, so you can feel sure that you’ve found the right person for you.

Career Growth Can Take Time – Have Patience with the Vocal Coaching Process

One of the most common questions that voice over students have for voice over coaches is “How long will it take?”

A normal answer to receive is, “It depends.”

Truly, the success of a coaching session will depend on many factors, not the least of which are the student’s expectations/goals, previously identified roadblocks, newly identifiable roadblocks, and the willingness to commit to the process.

Are You a Coach and Have an Upcoming Acting Class or a Workshop?

If you are an instructor and have a workshop coming up (or a series of scheduled workshops / lectures), send me a quick email and we’ll blog about your programs or at least add them to the coaches directory.

We’ve had enquiries from voice actors about who to study with and how to find workshops specific to a particular voice-over niche.

Many of these individuals also desire to network with fellow voice actors in a friendly, educational setting offline (that is, in person, face to face) and develop offline communities to hone their crafts and be a support system for each other.

There is no better way to reach a substantial audience looking for these kinds of educational opportunities. Not only that, you’ll be helping to establish small voice acting communities, connecting voice actors with each other. That’s a win-win!

So, if this interests you, I invite you to email me directly with your upcoming schedule details and topics.

Comments

• Lazarus Carver
    June 9, 2019, 12:39 pm

I would really love too voice act like. It seems really fun too be on a fun cartoon and make friends.

• Desiree Diggs
    June 13, 2019, 2:36 am

I’m trying to find a class to get started with the voiceover career. Can you help?

• Matthew Garrett
    November 14, 2019, 3:19 pm

I’ve been a huge fan of cartoons, anime, and video games my whole life, if not for these things I wouldn’t be who I am today. I’m new to this whole voice over thing, but I’m thankful for the people who voice over my favorite characters, and bring life to them. I’d like to bring life to characters too. I’m just not sure about how to get started.

P.S. I’m not sure either one would specifically remember me, but I’ve met a couple of voice actors that are the ones who got me interested in voice over being Todd Haberkorn the english voice actor of Natsu Dragneal from the anime Fairy Tail as well as many more, and Charles Martinet the voice of Super Mario the mustachioed plumber from the Super Mario Bros. video games.

• Randolph Bowers
    November 24, 2019, 12:42 pm

I often hear that my voice should be on radio or in voice overs because of it’s Barry White type sound… Lol! A friend of mine told me to seriously look into voice acting. I’m intrigued by it all and curious to see what I can make of it.

• oliver
      November 26, 2019, 4:56 pm

Hey Randolph,

Haha! Feel free to sign up for a talent account and start browsing available voice over jobs at: https://www.voices.com/signup

• Antonio Valter Souza de Jesus
    January 15, 2020, 9:15 pm

Outstanding
    The positive tips are related to develop our lives and for myself it doesn’t matter how long it will take.
    The right info is what matters;
    I am new flesh, people use to say that I have an outstanding voice. I wanna work it out.
    Thanks

• Dorcas Ekupe
      April 30, 2020, 3:33 am

Well I’ve got no professional degree and I am a non US Citizen
      I’ll love to volunteer as well
      Love reading aloud and narrating books
      Fun

• Dorcas Ekupe
    April 30, 2020, 3:31 am

Wow so great
    Well I’ll need voice over course online
    Especially in the domain of audiobook Narration
    And a course on animated movies

• Camera O'Donoghue
    May 27, 2020, 2:53 pm

I want to be a voice actress. The reason I want to voice act is because I’m not very good at making perfect expressions.. But if I want my voice to sound sad or excited, I can make it sad or excited. Also in voice acting you can make a lot of friends and bond with them and stuff. It seems really cool.

• Oliver Skinner
      May 28, 2020, 11:10 am

Hi Camera,

To start auditioning for voice over work, I’d encourage you to sign up for a Voices talent account. From there, you’ll get the opportunity to fill out your profile, get access to our vast job board of voice over casting calls, and post your demo.

Feel free to check out our Talent Help page, and never hesitate to send us an email with any questions at support@voices.com.

If you’re still in need of some tips on cutting your teeth in the industry, our Beginner’s Guide to Voice Acting is a helpful resource that’s jam-packed with info about the voice over world.

I hope that helps. Happy recording, and best of luck on your voice over journey!
      Oliver

• Damilola Abdul
    June 18, 2020, 3:51 pm

I want to be a voice actor. But i don’t know how to I was told to sign up for a training class but i don’t know how to

• Oliver Skinner
      June 29, 2020, 1:24 pm

Hey Damilola,

You can read up on the different types of voice acting classes that are out there. Some take place in-studio, but there are also online and remote options.

We also have a podcast for voice actors who are looking to brush up on their audition technique. You’re bound to find some valuable info by taking a listen to that.

Best,
      Oliver

• Mel
    July 22, 2020, 7:23 am

People tell me I have a beautiful deep voice. How can I get voice training?

• Oliver Skinner
      July 29, 2020, 5:02 pm

Hi Mel,

You may be interested in checking out our directory of voice over coaches.

Best,
      Oliver

• Charles Lewis-foster
    July 24, 2020, 5:40 pm

Hello i am charles I am very interested in becoming a voice over Artis I am not sure where to start or how do I get going in the voice over field please help

• Oliver Skinner
      July 27, 2020, 1:19 pm

Hello Charles,

Signing up for a Voices talent account is the best way to begin building your online presence and auditioning for voice over work.

Cheers,
      Oliver

• Miguel Martinez
    August 12, 2020, 7:28 am

I have a robotic sound like voice that I can do.

• Oliver Skinner
      August 12, 2020, 10:08 am

Hey Miguel,

When you sign up for a Voices talent account and you’re filling out your profile, you’ll have the opportunity to list your vocal expertise – such as putting on a robotic-sounding voice, or actually playing a robot character – so your profile and demos will be showcased when clients need to hire someone who sounds like you.

• Gopika Rajendran
    August 12, 2020, 10:01 am

I am trying to find voice over classes. Can you pls help.

• Oliver Skinner
      August 12, 2020, 10:15 am

Hi Gopika,

You ought to check out our list of phenomenal voice over coaches. You can filter the featured coaches based on region, language, category, specialization, and budget. If you’d like to attend coaching sessions in person, you may also want to do a search of “voice over coach + [your area].”

You’d probably also benefit from checking out this chapter about voice over training in our Beginner’s Guide to Voice Acting.

Best of luck,