Cartoon image of a voice actor sitting at her computer listening to her character voice over demos

How to Become a Voice Actor for Cartoons and Animation

Getting started in any new career can feel daunting, but launching a fresh start in the performing arts can feel even more so.

If you’re considering how to break into cartoon voice over and animation voice over work, these tips and tricks can help ease the transition!

We’ve pulled insights from our “Day in the Life” webinar series, with the hopes that getting started will be easier than you first thought. These tips, combined with hard work and persistence, will help you make your entrance into the world of character work.

Owning Your Niche – But Not Pigeonholing Yourself

In this day and age of voice acting, specializing in one kind of voice over doesn’t mean only knowing one thing. According to voice actor/director/coach, Shelly Shenoy, in order to succeed in the area of voice over that you’re most drawn to – in this case, animation – you need to expose yourself to the 3 main ‘buckets’ of voice over:

• Long form narration that hones the skill of stamina reading and clean character splits
  • Commercial reads that hone the art of the sale
  • Animation projects that hone the development of special character work

Think of each of the above as the posts of a three-legged stool. Only when you’ve exposed yourself to all three and dedicated time to developing skills from each, will you find exactly what you enjoy and where you flourish as an animation voice actor.

Sample Scripts Can Help You Discover Your Niche

There are so many pieces to the voice over puzzle that go beyond simply recording your audition and submitting it.

In their “Day in the Life” webinars, voice actors Anatol Silotch and Katie Harrington explained how important practicing with sample scripts was to their early success. Learning to understand a script, rather than simply reading it, is something that requires constant practice. Using sample scripts, like these Video Game and Character Voice Over Scripts, is a great way to build up strength in this area.

Getting Into Character and Finding Success

Getting into character requires more than a great voice, it also requires creativity.

According to Anatol, his start in voice over began when one day, someone told him to get into voice acting, not because he had a great voice, but because he had a creative mind. Having a creative mind is essential for plucking out the voice that’s perfectly suited to the scripted character. Successful animation voice actors consider the elements of a character and filter through a thousand different voices in their heads until they settle on the one that embodies the character.

When character voice actors share their advice about getting into character, another point they touch on is doing research. That research can consist of product or company research, script pronunciation, or research into what a unique character, like an ‘apathetic mother,’ might sound like.

To create a fully-realized character, acting coach Dee Cannon recommends asking yourself questions like:

1. Who am I?

2. Where am I?

3. When is it?

4. Where have I just come from?

5. What do I want?

Answering these questions as the character will help you do internal research about what embodies the character, which is just as important as how to pronounce tricky words in the script.

Dealing with Rejection

Every job you don’t land offers an opportunity for reflection. For Katie Harrington, that meant paying attention to the types of jobs she was and wasn’t landing, and then noticing a trend.

The trend she noticed was that she wasn’t landing ‘mother’ roles. With that realization, Katie now ‘works smarter’ by trying to select jobs that are 100% suited to her skill set and character work. Yes, that decreases the amount of jobs she auditions for in a day, but her ‘win rate’ has skyrocketed since she now identifies jobs that are perfect for herself.

Sometimes, voice actors don’t win a job simply because they didn’t happen to fit the character. In moments like this, it’s important to remember that above all, it’s never personal. Sometimes, something else got in the way of the client being able to fully digest the audition demo. Take your reflection beyond the job description and role by circling back to your audition demo. Is there any ambient noise in the background? Can you hear rush hour traffic in the background? Is the audio too quiet? Did you follow the specified file naming convention? Did you slate? Anything short of quality perfection will hinder the client’s ability to fully grasp your awesome animation character capabilities.

To Recap on Getting Into Animation

If you know the job is perfect for you, and you’ve researched and practiced the script to fully realize the character, finish it off with a demo of perfect quality. Always keep practicing with fun sample scripts that showcase your unique talents. Never take rejection personally and always reflect back objectively to learn from the audition.

Comments

• Yolanda Ellis-Versavel
    May 23, 2018, 9:45 am

Very informative article!! Thanks for giving us the insight to the industry and how Voices.com can help individuals looking to advance into their new or existing careers.

• Paris
    August 28, 2018, 10:29 pm

Thanks Niki! This is truly a blessing! It gives me a starting point with more insight than I had before. Your article has inspired me to step outside my comfort zone, take courage, and put myself out there. Thank you for your beautiful ministry!

• Niki
      August 29, 2018, 8:51 am

Paris,

Thank you! You are too kind. Go forth into the land of animation voice over and see what’s out there for you! Happy auditioning!

Niki

• Rosemary Amadeo
    September 16, 2018, 11:04 am

Hi i am interested in doing voice overs tried to record could not get through

• Niki
      September 17, 2018, 8:48 am

Hi Rosemary,

Getting into voice acting can be a bit of a challenge. Keep at it! We released a getting started guide that breaks out all the components of starting a voice acting career. Take a read through it. You might find it holds the secrets to being successful in this line of work!

• Gwen Porter
    April 19, 2019, 4:58 pm

Hi, please get in contact with me, this is something that I’ve always. Wanted to do throughout my entire life just never knew how to go about getting started.

• Kimberly Williams
      June 9, 2019, 9:10 pm

Me as well. I am 48 years old and this is something that I wanted to be a part of and do since I was 7 or 8 years old. People always tell me that it is something about my distinctive voice. Maybe…just maybe, THIS IS IT!!!

🙂

• Harshita Arora
    June 15, 2019, 4:38 am

I want to be a voice actor for cartoon characters. I’ve a good sense of humor and expertise in changing voice as required. Kindly help me build my career in the field.

• Ivy Spear
    July 7, 2019, 6:01 pm

I would like to start my career for voice overs

• Sangeeta
    July 17, 2019, 11:15 am

I want a job in voice of cartoons etc.

• David
    July 18, 2019, 1:48 pm

• uduak bernard brown
    July 24, 2019, 10:29 am

AMAZING

• Peterina Porter
      December 8, 2019, 9:44 pm

I can do 1 funny cartoon voice that kids love so much & Adults get a kick outta how I come there way with it

• Ifeanyi Okafor
    August 2, 2019, 11:47 am

Voice acting is a very inetersting and lucrative job , I started reading novels watching cartoons from childhood and l want to become a voice actor please how can I get enrolled for in voice acting class or a voice academy online.

• Tanya
      August 13, 2019, 8:51 am

Hi Ifeanyi,
      We have a number of wonderful coaches that provide in-person and remote coaching in various formats.
      You can browse our coach directory at: https://www.voices.com/coaches
      I hope that helps!
      Best of luck,
      – Tanya

• john marengo
    September 16, 2019, 11:50 pm

Interesting read

• Violet Blair
    October 6, 2019, 6:23 am

Hi I’m violet I’m nearly 12 and if you have any like young voices doing I think I could ordition

• Lubna
      October 7, 2019, 2:10 pm

Hi Violet,

That’s great! I would recommend you or your guardian to contact us at support@voices.com to know more about our Child Membership account.

Thanks!

-Lubna

• Fernando Joynes
    October 11, 2019, 11:34 am

I’m interested in doing cartoon voices for animation and TV. I’m reaching out to you to gain more insight on the matter

• Cile Ozersay
    October 30, 2019, 1:19 pm

Hi there,
    I am sooo interested in becoming a voice over artist and have already recorded a four script demo reel with a professional voice over company last week!
    I am awaiting the valuation and soo excited to hopefully get some voice over work in the future and I cannot wait!
    I have a natural talent with a wide variety of voices, British and foreign accents, young and old, high and low you name it i can do it!
    Please could you give me some more info with regards to setting up at home and how to get the ball rolling I am so keen to start ASAP!

October 30, 2019, 4:55 pm

Hi Cile,

It’s great to hear how enthusiastic you are about embarking on your voice acting career!

To sign up for a voice actor profile on Voices.com, where you can upload your demo, build your profile, and begin auditioning for jobs, the best place to begin is here: http://www.voices.com/signup.

You can learn about our different membership levels here: https://www.voices.com/talent-memberships

If you’ve got some questions, we encourage you to peruse our frequently asked questions here: https://www.voices.com/help/talent

And feel free to contact us for support anytime!
      -Oliver

• Brian Battles
    October 30, 2019, 2:47 pm

The most helpful thing here would be telling us where to send demos!

• Tanya
      November 19, 2019, 10:28 am

Hi Brian,
      Through Voices.com, there’s no need to send your demos out. Our marketplace connects clients who are looking for voice actors, with voice actors who meet their job criteria. As a member, clients will be able to listen to your demos (uploaded to your profile), and depending on your membership level, you can get auditions sent directly to you for jobs that match your skills/voice. You would then submit an audition to that job. You can learn all about how Voices.com works in our help section for talent: https://www.voices.com/help/talent
      All the best,
      – Tanya

• CYNTHIA HOOKS
    November 2, 2019, 1:24 am

Really, ppl mimic me! Too much..and it’s not intentionally! I know I’m highly animated! I did for my babies, to hear Mommy.. I am anyway.. try it.. use me! Your gain

• Briana Quinones
    November 21, 2019, 8:21 pm

Want to be the voice of acting rather its cartoon or amything else. Perfect voice.

• Sheirelle D Bailey
    January 10, 2020, 9:40 pm

I am 26 and I have decided to try something new for myself, nothing has ever come easy for me. But I try to succeed always

• Jaxson
    January 14, 2020, 7:43 pm

Im nine and have nothing to do with my life and I need money plzzz help

• Bronagh
    January 25, 2020, 1:59 pm

I am 10 years old.

• Shaine Burchell
    January 25, 2020, 5:53 pm

This was a very informative article, I really want to get involved in voice acting and I’m 23 years old. I can do quite a few cartoon and video game character voices. If anyone reads this, can you tell me where I should start my career in this field?

January 29, 2020, 10:56 am

Hi Shaine,

Thanks for your comment! If you’re looking to get started in voice acting, then you’ve come to the right place.

On Voices.com, it’s quick and easy to create a talent profile, browse through posted jobs, and begin submitting auditions for cartoon and video game voice work.

Follow this link to create an account.

You can check out our different levels of membership here.

The Beginner’s Guide to Voice Acting can also be a wonderful resource if you’re not sure where to get started.

Hope this helps set you on your way!

• Hashim irfan
    February 1, 2020, 4:53 am

Hi I have a talent of changing any kind of voice my dream is to become a cartoon animation voice over.

February 3, 2020, 3:29 pm

Hi Hashim,

Thanks for your comment! You’ve come to the right place.

To begin auditioning for voice over work, you can create a talent profile on Voices.com.

Follow this link to learn about our different membership levels.

Feel free to peruse our FAQ and contact us for support anytime.

Happy auditioning,

• Deepak Kumar Joshi
    February 3, 2020, 9:26 am

I’m ready this work

February 3, 2020, 3:35 pm

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for reaching out! To start searching for work as a voice actor, the best place to begin is by creating a profile on Voices.com.

Follow this link to learn about our different membership levels.

Feel free to peruse our FAQ, and contact us for support anytime.

Happy recording,

• Sashawnna Francis
    February 7, 2020, 11:24 am

how can I get in?

• Sashawnna
      February 7, 2020, 11:27 am

This seems interesting. I am 16 years old. This is a part of my dream and I am a Jamaican.

February 7, 2020, 1:17 pm

Hey Sashawnna,

Good question. By signing up for a Voices account, you can build your talent profile, browse job postings, and begin submitting auditions for voice over work.

You can read about our different membership levels here, and please feel free to peruse our FAQ or contact us at support@voices.com anytime you need.

Happy auditioning,

• Bharat kumar
    February 13, 2020, 2:11 am

Am professional voice dubbing artist for any character for free pleas call me am required for job

• Raj shah
    March 18, 2020, 3:15 pm

I want to give my voice for cartoon

March 20, 2020, 12:17 pm

Hi Raj,

You’ve come to the right place!

If you haven’t already yet, I’d encourage you to sign up for a Voices talent account. Doing this will allow you to build out your profile, highlight your interest in cartoon voice over work, and start recording auditions for job postings.

Animation is among the most popular categories of work that come to life thanks to Voices. I’d advise reading up on what clients look for when they’re hiring voice actors for their animated projects.

If you need some extra pointers about kickstarting your career, take a look at our Beginner’s Guide to Voice Acting, which will provide you with copious pointers about how to establish yourself and work toward becoming a pro in this vibrant line of work.

Hope that helps, and happy auditioning!

• MarwahAzeez
    April 7, 2020, 9:38 am

This is my first time doing a job

April 15, 2020, 1:40 pm

Hey Marwah,

Welcome aboard! If you haven’t already, you should totally sign up for a Voices talent account. From there, you’ll have the opportunity to fill out your profile, browse job postings, and start auditioning for the voice over work that most appeals to you.

You may also want to check out our Beginner’s Guide to Voice Acting, which is a great resource abounding with useful info that will help you kickstart your career.

If you have any additional questions, never hesitate to send us your questions at support@voices.com.

Happy recording,

• Nakka Bhavana
    April 26, 2020, 1:34 am

I have good over voice. Am very interested to do this Job tqq

April 27, 2020, 11:11 am

Hey Nakka,

Thanks for your comment. To start auditioning for voice over work, you should first register for a Voices talent account! From there, you’ll get the opportunity to fill out your profile, get access to our vast job board of voice over casting calls, and post your demo. If cartoons and animation are the category of voice over work that most interests you, you’ll be able to list this on your profile!

Feel free to also take a look at our Talent Help page, and never hesitate to send us an email with any questions at support@voices.com.

If you’re still in need of some tips on cutting your teeth in the industry, our Beginner’s Guide to Voice Acting is a helpful resource that’s jam-packed with info about the voice over world.

I hope that helps. Happy recording, and best of luck on your voice over journey!

• Dannah Pearl N. Amad
    April 27, 2020, 4:27 am

Hi,.Im a young student and I am really interested in voice acting on cartoons i hope you’ll read this and thank you for the guided articles.

April 27, 2020, 11:32 am

Hi Dannah,

Thanks for your comment. To start auditioning for voice over work, you should first register for a Voices talent account. From there, you’ll get the opportunity to fill out your profile, get access to our vast job board of voice over casting calls, and post your demo. If cartoons and animation are the category of voice over work that most interests you, you’ll be able to list this on your profile!

• Kiran Puri
        April 28, 2020, 2:01 pm

sir i m 13 yrs old sir my name is kavyansh puri sir can i give a voice can tell how should i give my voice

April 29, 2020, 12:02 pm

Hi there,

When you sign up for a Voices talent account, you’ll instantly the opportunity to fill out your profile, upload your voice demo, and get access to our vast job board of voice over casting calls.

Happy recording,

• Abi Revell
    April 30, 2020, 6:52 pm

Hello doing animated characters voice is one of my best talents n people tell me all the time I should through a microphone I can do so many characters perfectly

May 1, 2020, 11:56 am

Hey Abi,

Since you can perform animated character voices so well, why not lend your voice to cartoons? To start auditioning for voice over work, you can sign up for a Voices talent account! From there, you’ll get the opportunity to fill out your profile, get access to our vast job board of voice over casting calls, and post your demo. Since cartoons and animation seem to be the category of voice over work that most interests you, you’ll be able to list this directly on your profile.

Happy recording!

• Suzana Sandoval
    May 7, 2020, 4:32 am

Wow! I’ve been wanting to voice act for a while, but I’ve never known how. I’m almost 14, but… my friends always make fun of me when I get mad bc they think I sound like a 6 year old…it’s just instinct. Anyways I really hope this can help me!

May 13, 2020, 11:36 am

Hey Suzana,

Happy we could help! If you’re ready to embark on your career as a voice actor, signing up for a Voices talent account is a great place to start.

Cheers,

• Damon. Jones
    May 18, 2020, 3:15 am

I have a daughter that has
    A high pitch voice she would
    Fit the description .. For a role
    In any type of cartoon !

May 20, 2020, 1:52 pm

Hey Damon,

If your daughter has a knack for performing animated character voices, maybe she should have a go at lending her voice to cartoons! To start auditioning for voice over work, you can sign her up for a Voices talent account. You can read about the different types of memberships here.

After registering for an account, you’ll get the opportunity to fill out a profile, get access to our vast job board of voice over casting calls, and post a demo. Since cartoons and animation seem to be the category of voice over work that most interests you, you’ll be able to list this directly on her profile.

Best of luck!

• Arpana yadav
    May 20, 2020, 9:45 am

Hi this is arpana . My friends always say me try for cartoon voice …. but I never knew how start with this as a carrier . So please help me in getting into this profession.

May 20, 2020, 11:34 am

Hey Arpana,

If you have a knack for performing animated character voices, you should have a go at lending your voice to cartoons. To start auditioning for voice over work, you can sign up for a Voices talent account! From there, you’ll get the opportunity to fill out your profile, get access to our vast job board of voice over casting calls, and post your demo. Since cartoons and animation seem to be the category of voice over work that most interests you, you’ll be able to list this directly on your profile.

Happy recording!

• nel stubblefield
    May 23, 2020, 8:55 pm

i am looking for a voice acting job I have many talents with voicing but never been on a movie or tv show

May 28, 2020, 10:27 am

Hey Nel,

You don’t need to have experience on a movie or TV show to pursue a voice acting career! There are a number of industries beyond traditional media where voice over plays an integral role. If you have the interest, why not give it a shot?

I’d suggest taking a look at our Beginner’s Guide to Voice Acting and our YouTube channel for some tips on getting started as a voice actor. You can sign up for a Voices talent profile here.

Best of luck,

• Patricia Stokes
    May 27, 2020, 3:49 pm

Hi there, I am Patricia and new to the craft. Voices.com was a referral to voice over. I have found it very beneficial and educational. I will continue to seek your information to learn and possibly work with.

Thank you for sharing.

May 28, 2020, 11:10 am

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for your comment! Wishing you the best.

• JEANNIE VASIL
    June 6, 2020, 4:36 pm

Hello! My name is Jeannie Vasil. I would like to find out more information on getting started in voice acting / voice over acting. I have had long been told that I should pursue voice acting as I have a unique voice. Although I’m certain that you have heard this before, I wanted to ask if I could speak with someone to determine if I should take this on?

I appreciate any information and/or contact to help me determine my next action.

Jeannie Vasil

June 8, 2020, 3:38 pm

Hi Jeannie,

Here are two great resources that can introduce you to the world of voice acting and using our platform: the Beginner’s Guide to Voice Acting, and our YouTube channel.

When you’re ready to get started, sign up for a Voices talent account and build your profile, upload a demo, and submit auditions for voice acting jobs.

Best of luck,

• Brea A.Terry
    June 25, 2020, 1:08 am

This was very helpful. Thank you.

• Rosaluz Lopez Ruiz
    July 11, 2020, 1:42 am

INTERESANTE

• Xihlovo
    July 15, 2020, 6:41 pm

Hy Nikki im Xihlovo from South Africa im fine hope you are fine as well i want to audition i think it the time to show my telent so can do many different types of voices. I can dance as well

July 17, 2020, 9:27 am

Hi Xihlovo,

Thanks for your comment! Sign up for a Voices talent account to begin showcasing your vocal abilities and auditioning for voice over work.

• Rihanna Nancy
    August 3, 2020, 1:06 am

I like voice acting

• Carleen Sutton
    August 6, 2020, 3:41 pm

I’m looking to get into the field. I have worked on getting many voices down. But now I need to find somewhere to use these voices. Please help me.

August 19, 2020, 1:18 pm

Hey Carleen,

When you sign up for a Voices talent account, you can begin auditioning for voice over jobs that are listed on our platform.

Cheers,

• Olivia
    August 23, 2020, 6:47 pm

Hi I’m a young voice actor!! Recently I’ve been trying to find online voice acting for animation (not classes). Even for fan fictions on YouTube are hard for me to find. If you can help, please get back to me

August 24, 2020, 9:47 am

Hey Olivia,

If you’d like to get into voice acting for cartoons and animation, you ought to sign up for a Voices talent account and upload a demo of your best cartoon vocal performance. As you’re completing your profile, you’ll also get the opportunity to list animation as the category of voice work that you specialize in.

• Husna
    August 29, 2020, 12:02 pm

i want give my voice for barbie or any cartoon any type of cartoon

August 31, 2020, 10:46 am

Hi Husna,

• Batool
    September 2, 2020, 3:00 am

I like that sounds of being A voice actor but I am Little shy and so can you pls reply back to me so I know what to do and I Think I have a deep Voice…. I would like to Voice a anime character. 🙂

September 3, 2020, 11:59 am

Hi Batool,

If you’d like to get into voice acting for cartoons and animation, you may consider signing up for a Voices talent account. As you’re completing your profile, you’ll get the opportunity to list animation as the category of voice over work that you’re most interested in pursuing.

• Manish Gupta
    September 5, 2020, 8:00 am

I want to become voice artist

September 8, 2020, 10:25 am

Hey Manish,

When you sign up for a Voices talent account, you can begin auditioning for voice over jobs on our platform and set out on the path to becoming a voice actor.

Best,

• Michael Spencer
    September 11, 2020, 3:36 pm

So is there I cartoon that I can voice up

September 14, 2020, 10:16 am

Hey Michael,

When you sign up for a Voices talent account you can begin auditioning for voice over jobs featured on our platform. When you’re filling out your profile, you’ll have the opportunity to list cartoons and animation as the category of voice over work that most interests you.

• Justine
    September 25, 2020, 6:48 am

Hi, I’m Justine and I wonder how to be in a kids movie, and be one of the cartoon characters I’ve been very inspired and I wanna to do something new if you could give my tips or tell me where I can sign up please email back thank you from Justine.

September 30, 2020, 4:53 pm

Hi Justine,

When you sign up for a Voices talent account, you can begin auditioning for voice over jobs featured on our platform. When you’re filling out your profile, you’ll have the opportunity to list cartoons and animation as the category of voice over work that most interests you.

You can also check out our Beginner’s Guide to Voice Acting and our YouTube channel for more tips on getting started!

• Himani Bachspati jha
    October 7, 2020, 7:32 am

Hi I am interested in giving voice I want to try once to give voice

October 7, 2020, 1:37 pm

Hi Himani,

• Dimakatso Radebe
    October 7, 2020, 10:13 am

My daughter is interested in doing voice acting on animation she’s good in speaking english and she’s also do poetry as well

October 7, 2020, 1:35 pm

Hi Dimakatso,

If your daughter would like to start auditioning for voice acting opportunities, you two can sign up for a talent account and begin using the platform.

Happy auditioning,