Have you hired voice talent before? Maybe you’re entirely new to the process of writing job postings and playing back auditions, or perhaps you have ample experience harnessing the power of voice over to heighten your project’s emotional impact, but this just happens to be the first time you’ve looked for voice actors. Either way, you’ve come to the right place.
This guide will break down, step-by-step, the process of hiring voice actors, complete with insightful tips that will help you get the best possible voice actor for your project, on time and on budget.
What You’ll Learn in The Ultimate Guide to Hiring Voice Actors
This guide is packed with useful information that can help guide you with tips, examples and exercises from the start of your creative process, when you’re developing your creative project, all the way to the point when you’ve secured your final voice over files from your top voice actor(s).
You’ll get information on:
- How to establish a comprehensive understanding of your target audience, including aligning your project with your sonic brand, so you evoke the right emotions and actions.
- The pre-production process, from writing an audio script to developing a storyboard.
- How to masterfully describe the sound you’re looking for.
- How to write and post a job on an online marketplace, and how to select the right voice actor to bring your characters to life.
- What it will be like to work with the voice talent you’ve hired, whether it involves attending in-studio sessions or collaborating online, and how to receive the final audio files as your project draws to a close.
Hiring Voice Actors Has Never Been Easier
While you can learn everything you need to know about setting up a creative project for success in this guide, you also need to know that hiring a voice actor has never been easier.
On Voices.com, the premier online marketplace for voice actors and their clients, once you’ve created your free account, you can secure voice over services in just three simple steps:
- Post your job
- Choose the top audition
- Download your files and release your payment
In fact, if you’re ready to post your job now for free, you can sign up or login to Voices.com today.
Minimum Requirements for Hiring Voice Actors
The more prepared you are, the smoother the process of hiring a voice actor will be, and the better the end result.
So, before you’re ready to hire a voice actor, ensure that you have prepared the following:
- A finalized, approved script – You can include an excerpt of your script in your Voices.com job posting to provide voice actors a glimpse into the content and style of your project. When you do so, you’ll receive custom auditions in 24 hours or less, meaning you’ll be able to hear exactly how voice talent will interpret the words of your script and bring it to life, making your hiring decision even easier.
- An estimated budget – Take a look at suggested voice over budgets, listed on the rates and pricing page.
- Artistic direction – The more detailed your artistic direction, the better voice over auditions that you’ll receive in response. Take a look at our voice over sample scripts for some guidance on how to frame your artistic direction. You can also read up on How to Give the Best Voice Over Direction.
Today, you’re taking the first step on a journey to find the perfect voice for your project. Welcome to the Ultimate Guide to Hiring Voice Actors.
Comparing Voice Over Services
Nowadays, you have access to a multitude of options when it comes to securing voice over services for your next project. Through Voices.com, you can choose to hire freelance voice over talent from our marketplace (explore how it works) to secure non-union voice talent.
To determine whether or not you should pursue union or non-union talent, ensure that you ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I want or need union (e.g. SAG-AFTRA) talent, or would I prefer freelance (non-union) talent?
- Would I like to work with a talent agency, a Voices.com account manager, or complete the casting process on my own?
- Do I prefer to negotiate on price with an agent, or would I prefer that I get quotes that fall within my set budget or budget range?
Ultimately, there is no wrong path to choose, and any way you go, you’re sure to find amazing talent.
Learn more about finding the right voice over service provider for your budget and needs by reading Understanding Voice Over Cost.